Betta imbellis

Dino47

Hi together,
now I will introduce you a beautiful betta who make bubble nest like Betta splendens.

Origin:Thailand; phuket, Ko Samui, Malaysia; near Kuala Lumpur, penang. Indonesia: North Sumatra(Medan and Sibolga) ,Vietnam, Phu Quoc.Here the fish occur mainly in the densely planted zones at the edge of the water.

Etymology: imbellis= not warlike, referring to it's peacefull nature, although some strains can be quite aggressiv.

First European import:Germany:1970, Dietrich Schaller, although a Dutch drawing published in 1944 clearly depicts B. imbellis, but at the time was known as B. splendens red.

Description:See picture. I give them away after 6 years which I spawn them.

Imagine

Care: Can be kept in small 40 cm tanks, but also in community tanks, although it should never be kept together with Betta splendens. Tanks should be densely planted, including floating plants. Water schould be around neutral and not too hard, dark soil brings out the colors better. Some type localities require slightly acidic waterconditions. The fish will inhabit the quieter parts of the tank, Betta imbellis dislikes stronger currents. The fish are in general quite hardy, as long as the temperature is kept in the higher regions, and the air above the tank is kept at the same temperature.

Temperature: 25-30 degrees. Betta imbellis male from Ko Samui, below a bubblenest.

Feeding:Live, frozen and flake food.

Size:5-5.5 cm.

pH: 6.5-7.5

Breeding
: Well planted tank, spawning of B. imbellis is similar to B.splendens. Raise the temperature to 28 degrees, and do frequent small waterchanges. Sometimes it helps to reduce the waterlevel to 15-20 cm, although it's not required. Ph around neutral, athough some type localities require slightly acidic circumstances. The male will build a small bubblenest between or under some floating plants at the surface, and display below the nest with beautiful iridescent colors if a female is seen. If the female is interested she will swim towards the male, and the pair will mate below the nest, in a similar manner as B. splendens. The up to 200 eggs will hatch in a day, and are fully free swimming after another 2 days.In well planted tanks usually some fry will survive without any intervention. The fish should be bred in the first year!! Attempts made at a later age often fail!

Sexual dimorphism:Male much more colorful with longer fins.

Additional:Different type localities exist, and it's important to keep the strains pure(do not crossbreed!). Betta imbellis can be crossed with Betta splendens, and the offspring is fertile up to 2-3 generations, but then fertility problems start to occur. A few years back(1998) "peaceful bettas" have been offered in shops, which were clearly a crossing with fancy bettas, created by people only interested in profit and with a complete disregard for the consequences.

Hope I give you a lot of informations. When you have questions. Please Ask.
CataOlo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

... another beautiful fish ... why did you give up breeding these Bettas?

P.S.: Apparently this section of the forum was made to make me be gelous! :)
Ultima oară modificat 20 Mai 2010 18:58 de către CataOlo, modificat 1 dată în total.
Alergie la prostie ...
_______
Allergy to stupidity ...
Dino47

Hi Cata,
Now for wild form needs one usually more place than for breeding forms.  Special in the mouth broods some very large Betta are there.  Now the single bubblenest wildl Betta that I yet would have are Betta stiktos.  I cannot hold unfortunately everything, and sometime I would like to try it also once with new types.  But I can get always again Betta imbellis.  Perhaps I am looking for Betta imbellis var. black from Vietnam soon. 
CataOlo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well ... at first, there's the "I wsh ..." thought; then comes by surprise a tank at a very good price, at the right moment in time, and after that ... I'll start nagging you! That's a promise! ;D
Alergie la prostie ...
_______
Allergy to stupidity ...
Dino47

Hi all,
yesterday I got a new pair Betta imbellis, which catched last week in Thailand
near by Khao Lak. A good friend was in Thailand and catched a lot of Betta
Wild types and bought breeding forms from betta farms. :)
Scrie răspuns